Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

 

About Our Parish

Our History

Humble Beginnings

In January 1918, Father James Delahunty celebrated the first Mass in Hughson, in the home of Mrs. A.J. Serpa.  Catechism classes followed. Two years later, Father James Galvin rented Northway's Hall in Hughson for Sunday Masses and a Sunday school.  This generated enough enthusiasm among residents that they began planning for a church.

The mostly Portuguese community pledged enough money for a new church, where Mass was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1921.

The building was designed by Father Charles Phillips: a simple structure of frame with stucco exterior, metallic sheeting and wooden wainscoting, measuring 90 feet by 42 feet.  Parish buildings occupied one acre; alfalfa for sale, the remaining five acres.

Growth of a Parish

It took 46 years, in 1967, before the present day church and parish building were constructed.  Father Eugenio Alves justifiably praised his little parish's fundraising success, providing also a church hall with kitchen facilities and three classrooms; where the Holy Family Sisters and lay people taught religion to the children.  Father Alves waxed eloquent: "The effect of the spiritual and mystic quality in color, treatment and design bring a new landmark to Hughson."

Looking to the Future

The same enthusiasm energizes today's parishioners, involved in every area of parish life: ministries, finance, religious education, youth, liturgy, etc.; many conducted in both Spanish and English.